Sunday, June 14, 2009

The Name Dilemma

I wrote a couple of posts ago about our "C" name dilemma. This morning at church, we sang about the power in the name of Jesus. Being the questioning thinker that I am, I wondered to myself (because Chuck wasn't there) why God gave his son such a common name. Why Jesus, which would be like "Bob" or "Joe" today? The name Jesus stands out in our culture, but in a Hispanic culture today it wouldn't. Is it weird for them to place such authority and reverence on that name?
As I was considering this, I felt like God said to me, "I named Him that because that was the name I chose for Him." Then I felt like He related it to our dilemma (God's so cool that way to show he cares about the silly stuff we worry about). He said "You need to quit worrying so much about the uniqueness and coolness factor of the names you choose and just let Me name your child what his name is supposed to be." Whoa! Sorry God. I am obviously getting distracted and liable to get in the way of His plan for my child's name. Definitely don't want that.
I felt a really strong impression about the name we had chosen for Eden if she was a boy, "Caden." I had pretty much thrown it out because it has become so common since we had Eden, but I feel like we are to strongly consider it again.
Does this mean we are for sure having a boy? or was God just using this dilemma as a teaching moment for me? Guess we'll have to wait 10 more days to know the answer to that question.

2 comments:

gifton said...

Yeah I was praying for God to come to me in a dream or send an angel. Wouldn't that be so much easier! Just tell me in a booming voice "Gifton, you shall have a son and his name shall be ______."

The main thing is to trust God. He has the perfect name and already knows what it will be. You'll know it when you see it.

Just His Best said...

I'm riding that train too. I have always loved picking out baby names and never had a problem, until this time around. I think it's so easy to think about what's cool or what "goes" with the other kids names. I've just started praying that the Lord reveal the baby's name. I'm actually ashamed I didn't go this route the first three times around!!!