Sunday, June 14, 2009

The Big Deal that is Being a Mom

Today in church, we had baby dedications. It was not something I was looking forward to, since it takes away from time for the sermon and our pastor tends to have a hard time cramming in everything he wants to say on any given Sunday. I wasn't resenting it or anything... I'm really glad they do baby dedications and our dedication of Eden at our church in Augusta, Georgia was very special. It turned out that half my notes for the morning were made during the dedication. The pastor's wife admonished the mommies about their responsibilities and Pastor Hale charged all the daddies with theirs. It really was inspiring to hear them each speak from their hearts about parenting and the wisdom they've gleaned through their own experience. I wrote myself a list of things that really struck me.

My Charge as a Mother is to:
Show my children what it is to seek God.
Introduce my children to the presence of God.
Fiercely guard my home from anything that would crowd out the Master.
Be the source through which my children first experience God's love.

I don't know exactly what yet, but I'd love to make some sort of art piece with these things or the essence of these things on it.

No comments: