Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Exercises

A friend of mine is interested in birthing without an epidural for her second child and has asked me for any info I have that could help her out.
Since I don't know when the next time is I'll be able to see her to borrow some books from me, I thought I would post something on here for her to start with.
These are the exercises every pregnant woman should do every day. They open the pelvis, keep everything limber, strengthen the pelvic floor and just plain, make you feel better.
You should do at least 20 cat/cow stretches 2-3 times a day and they are especially effective at night to help me relax right before I go to sleep. Tailor sitting as often as possible can help the baby get into the easiest birthing position where the spine faces your belly button. This position also helps stretch the muscles around your pelvis.
Pretty much all that applies to tailor sitting
applies to squatting with the addition that squatting is a position you could actually labor/birth in. You can do this one with a partner if your achilles tendons aren't very flexible.
The last one you need to know about is Kegels... and I can't post a picture of that. Look them up. Do them. At least 100 a day. Your pelvic floor will thank you. :)

2 comments:

colby said...

Thanks girl! I will see you at the shower Sunday.

Sara said...

You're very welcome. See you soon!