Thursday, October 22, 2009

Bradley Bit: a Bit Behind

We are slackers.
I thought we could overcome it, but our slacker tendencies have overcome us at the moment. Even though I'm trying to keep myself from being disappointed by reminding myself that Arielle really has 6 more weeks if she wants them, it would also be smart to realize that she could choose to come at any moment. We haven't practiced a single contraction, haven't done a single minute of relaxation and haven't studied a single page from my binder in weeks.
I got a bit of a wakeup call yesterday when Arielle decided to stretch out and put some major pressure on my cervix. I seriously felt like she was getting ready to pop out and say "hi." No contractions, just a lot of pressure. It made me realize that another baby was really going to come through there in just a few weeks. I haven't been nervous at all, but after that, I did get a little nervous and pulled out the Bradley book again.
We need to jump on the bandwagon again and get crackin' with some exercises and some reading. I did get one good thing to share from the chapter I read. It's a mnemonic for remembering how to handle all suggested interventions at the hospital - BRAIN - Is this Beneficial? What are the Risks? Are there Alternatives? What does my Intuition tell me? What happens if we wait and do Nothing? I would tend to switch the I for a G (What is God telling me?), but that would mess up the word... :)
Oh, and the other thing I read that was good was just the use of the words "birthing team." I wouldn't have thought to use that terminology except for a home birth, but it is true that the nurses and my OB at the hospital are my birthing team and it may help me keep a positive attitude for me to think of and refer to them that way.

No comments: