Thursday, August 13, 2009

Signing

I found this site from the blog of a friend.  We've been signing with Eden since about 6 months old and it's really been and still is an invaluable tool for communication.  I certainly plan on signing with Arielle.  It's such a habit now, I don't see how I couldn't.  
Not only has it allowed Eden to communicate her needs and desires before she could express them in words verbally, but it has also helped us to understand some of her first words.  She will, for instance, sign "milk" and say "nyoke."  And, at first, it sounded more like "no" because she didn't have the "k" sound at the end yet.  I was so glad she was signing "milk" because I would have had no idea that's what she meant.
We are starting a toddler signing class with activities and music at the end of August.  I'm really excited to start Eden in her first class.  I'm sure I'll want lots of pictures and just be that sappy proud mommy.  My baby!  in a class!

Here's the link to the signing site to find out more about American Sign Language, it's uses and benefits for all ages. 
www.labelandlearn.com

No comments: