Sunday, September 20, 2009

Thoughts And Feelings At 31 Weeks

Ok, remember that prenatal massage I was so looking forward to? Well, I feel bruised and more sore in some places now than before I got the massage. I think the therapist might have been a BIT too aggressive and a little to intent on getting out all the knots and tightness she found. The goal wasn't really to find tightness I didn't know I had (because it wasn't bothering me) and then attack it aggressively. That seems more like a plan for someone who was going to have regular treatments. My idea was more about a gentle rub down that probably wouldn't accomplish a single thing in the long run, but would make me feel good and relaxed for those 80 minutes.
She even told me during the massage that the reason she enjoyed being a massage therapist is because all her clients leave happy even if they came in unhappy. I came in a bit sore from water aerobics the day before and left extremely sore and was so sore the following day that it felt like my skin should all be that awful purple-ish green color that really nasty bruises are. I was so sore, especially my back and forearms, that even a very light touch would make me wince in pain. It hurt to lean back on the couch. It hurt to put my bag over my shoulder. I paid for this?
I knew it was bad even before I left the spa. I asked her if there was anything I needed to be doing that evening, like icing (or let's see... maybe taking a few doses of tylenol?!) and she said to just drink lots of water. I've been drinking more water in the past few days than I have for this entire pregnancy. I suppose that's a good thing that came out of this.
This is one of those things that I could have fixed before it became a problem, but it's also a situation where I was trying to just trust the professional. She told me before she really dug in that I should tell her if it was too much or too hard or too painful. It was hard and it was painful (and she knew I was in pain because she asked about it every time I made a face), but I assumed that it was the kind of pain that would leave me tension-free and totally comfortable later on. No pain, no gain right? I imagined myself lying in my bed that night thinking to myself how loose my muscles were and how relaxed I felt, thus getting the best sleep I'd had in a month. Nope. Shoulda, coulda, woulda.

We got Eden's new full-size crib up and the new bedding in it. I love it. It's the exact same crib as our mini crib, except in the standard size. So now we have a big sister/little sister matchy-matchy look in the nursery. The bedding on each one is different with the black and white theme remaining to tie them in. Eden's napping, but I'll post a pic when I can. She now sleeps with a little tiny pillow which she calls a "poe" and even though, it's still a crib, she seems more grown-up looking in it for some reason. I'm very happy to have that part of the preparations for Arielle done and marked off the list.... except for the bedskirt for the new crib which still needs to be sewn.

1 comment:

Just His Best said...

ouch!! sounds very painful! I've done the same thing before thinking - "if it hurts now it will feel really good later." How dumb of me!!

Please post pictures of the girls' room soon!