Saturday, May 30, 2009

Connections

Why do people want to know the "actual" due date? Why aren't they satisfied when I say November, or even mid-November? I really don't remember what the doc said my due date was. I've forgotten on purpose... the 19th maybe? The only thing people say after I tell them I don't really remember is the birth date of their own child or someone they know that's in November. Okaaaaay. so.... what? Am I supposed to call you and let you know if my baby ends up being born on that day too? Is there some significance to that somewhere? It's even more odd to me when I just go ahead and say "the 19th" and they say, "oh, I have a sister who was born on the 3rd." What is my response supposed to be? I can sort-of (and I use "sort-of" in the loosest sense) see why they respond with a birthday within just a few days of whatever date I say, but for some reason, just the fact that it's in the same month makes it important. And it could be, like, a cousin's first girlfriend's father-in-law whose birthday shares the month of my baby's due date. As long as they've heard of somebody with a November birthday, that apparently becomes the reason to try to pin-point the date of my delivery.
I'm not mad about it or anything. I just think it's silly. I guess oftentimes we humans will find any way we can to connect.

No comments: