Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Loving Our Children

Parts of this post are too good not to share.  It's about parenting teenagers, but some of it I can certainly take and use immediately.
Here is some of it:


Our children are the fruit of our best love -- am I making them my best friends? 


Their hearts came into being in the circle of our wooing -- why do I ever stop wooing their hearts?

Each child came to us directly from the presence of God and a parent's daily work is to lead the child back from whence she came --- back into the presence of God. To simply keep inviting the child into the transformative presence of God -- to live before Him ourselves.

For only the Spirit of God can take a child and shape him into a whole and holy person. My parenting cannot do this work. I forget this. I realize parenting is complicated with seasons necessitating instruction, admonition, intervention... but I wonder --


Is my work as a parent less about directing and more about being a friend who's a spiritual director?

It's our tender love that woos them back to His.






Quotes good enough to put in books, or maybe on walls... at the very least, to keep in the forefront of my heart.

No comments: