Monday, April 12, 2010

The Way it Was

Every so often I get to go out without the kids.
I got to do that this weekend and I floated about, gliding in and out of stores, feeling like I'd lost weight just because my brain was lightened from the load of : pushing a double stroller through small spaces hoping not to run over anything or knock over anything, keeping a two-year-old happy and corralled simultaneously, hoping the baby doesn't cry and bother other shoppers, hoping it doesn't look like I'm stealing because I'm putting things I want to purchase in the bottom basket of the stroller, and 7 or 8 other worries I usually have.
Instead, I compiled a list of things that I can do without my kids that seem like novelties now that my memories of being without them have almost completely faded away.
1. I can run in and out of stores. I can just be in a store a minute and pick up exactly what I need and leave. Such a pain with two kids.
2. Similar to the first, I can enter a store, decide I don't want to stay and leave instead of feeling like I need to walk around at least a few minutes more before tackling the big heavy and almost-too-small-to-fit-the-stroller-through door that I wrestled with to get into the store in the first place.
3. I can put my purse or bag in the front of the grocery cart instead of my child's bottom.
4. I can put the groceries in the cart instead of under it.
5. I can stop and stand still and stare at something as long as I like without also having to jiggle the stroller to keep the baby content.
6. I can think in complete sentances because my thoughts aren't being bombarded by one-word battering rams like "Eat?," "Play?," "Snack?," "Go home?" and the like.
7. I can stop and get myself a snack or drink and eat or drink it all myself.


Ahhh! (that's a good sigh)

1 comment:

Amanda Jones said...

so true!! Great seeing you today!