Saturday, October 25, 2008

Pesky Keys

Baby brain alert! This is a really bad one folks. And I'm expecting more of the same as things progress. I remember this from the last go round.
I decided to have an outing to Target. Sometimes it's just too much to carry Eden and her diaper bag to the car at once (that sounds pretty lame) so I carry her out and strap her in first. I got my keys, remotely unlocked the doors, grabbed Eden and carried her out. I got her all strapped in and walked back to the house, only to find the door locked. I had apparently turned the knob-lock on the way out without even realizing it out of habit. My first thought is, I can drive to get Chuck's keys from him at work. Then I realize I don't have a cell phone to locate him in the hospital because I didn't carry my diaper bag out with us. Then I realize, more importantly, I have no keys. Hello!? My car keys and house keys are on the same keychain. This is just showing you how well my brain is working...
After thinking through what windows might be unlocked and checking the sliding glass door with no luck, imagining Eden crying with a poopy diaper and needing to eat, and generally thinking the worst, I decide to take Eden and walk to a neighbor's house, ask to use their phone to call Chuck and hope that he can bring the keys home for a second. As Eden and I are walking around the edge of our huge yard to get to the neighbor that I know, I think to myself, "maybe the reason you locked the door was because you had the keys in your hand.. that's why it was habit." I turn around and run through the wet lawn, Eden bouncing in my arms (thinking I'm crazy, I'm sure) back to the car. I open the back door and sure enough, there are my keys in the back seat. *roll eyes*
My heart definitely got a workout with that one. It could have been worse and more embarassing, had I gotten the neighbor and Chuck involved, but thanks to the Holy Spirit, I was saved that amount of embarassment.

No comments: